Home / Visiting Students / Secondary School / Summer Institute / FAQ

Summer Institute (SI)

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. How to apply for CUHK Summer Institute?
A1. Student must complete and submit an online application with all relevant supporting documents within the designated application period. Late application will not be considered.
Q2. Who can apply for the CUHK Summer Institute?
A2. CUHK Summer Institute welcomes local and international students who are applying to universities in the next year. For more information about eligibility of applying for SI, please click here.
Q3. What will the programme consider when reviewing applications?
A3. Applications will be reviewed case by case. Vacancies are for eligible applicants ONLY. Applicants’ academic results and abilities to meet the pre-requisite of their preferred SI courses will be taken into consideration.
Q4. Will there be any interviews?
A4. No.
Q5. Do I need a student visa to study in the CUHK Summer Institute?
A5. If you do not have a Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card (i.e. you are not a permanent resident of Hong Kong and you do not have the right of abode in Hong Kong), you will need to apply for a student visa before coming to study in Hong Kong. This must be done through the Office of Academic Links (OAL), which will act as your local sponsor. The Hong Kong Immigration Department will not accept applications without a sponsor, meaning that you cannot apply for a student visa to Hong Kong by yourself.
Q6. How can I apply for a student visa?
A6. A set of visa application forms and guidelines will be included in your welcome pack when you have confirmed your admission to the programme and settled all fees. Students should follow the guidelines, complete and return the application forms together with the supporting documents via courier to the Office of Academic Links (OAL) by the stipulated deadline. We will then submit your visa application to the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) (HK Immigration Department). It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks for the HK Immigration Department to process a student visa or entry-permit application; therefore, you should submit your visa application to the OAL at least two months before the commencement of the programme. Whether a student visa/entry permit is issued or not is at the discretion of the HK Immigration Department.
Q7. I do not have a Hong Kong permanent identity card, but my passport allows me to travel to Hong Kong without a visa. Is it necessary for me to apply for a student visa for the Summer Institute?
A7. Yes, it is necessary for all non-local students (non-permanent HKID holders) to apply for a student visa to participate in the SI. The visa-free entry only applies to vocational travel, not academic travel.

Q1. How many courses can I take in total?
A1. Students should take two courses, one in the morning and another one in the afternoon.
Q2. What courses are offered at CUHK Summer Institute?
A2. CUHK Summer Institute offers a wide range of courses, covering subject areas including arts, business administration, education, engineering, law, medicine, science and social science. Courses are taught by outstanding CUHK faculty members. For some courses, pre-requisite and background knowledge are required. Please refer to the Academic Courses section for details.
Q3. What is the medium of instruction used during the courses?
A3. English will be used for most of the courses unless otherwise specified. Please refer to the Academic Courses section for details.
Q4. How should I select the courses?
A4. You are highly recommended to take two courses in different areas for the morning and afternoon sessions to learn about different academic disciplines. This helps you to identify your academic interests for future university studies.
Q5. How do I get enrolled to academic courses?
A5. When you apply online for the CUHK Summer Institute, you need to give preference for courses you intend to study. We would consider the course capacity and your eligibility for assignment of courses.
Q6. How will I be assessed in the courses?
A6. Each course adopts a different assessment scheme. Assessments may be in the form of quizzes and individual/ group presentations. Please refer to the Academic Courses section for details.
Q7. How do I know my result?
A7. Students who have completed the course(s) will receive a Statement of Result by post within 2 months after the programme is finished.
Q8. Will I receive a certificate?
A8. Students who have attained 80% of the course attendance will receive a Certificate of Achievement by post within 2 months after the programme is finished.

Q1. If I am admitted to the programme and directly sponsored by my school, how should I pay for the fees?
A1. If you are directly sponsored by school, please ask your school to contact us (email: si@cuhk.edu.hk) for special payment arrangement.
Q2. Are there any scholarships or bursaries available?
A2. A number of Merit Awards (MA), in the form of fee reduction, are available to eligible applicants with outstanding academic credentials. Successful applicants will enjoy 50% off of the programme fee/ per-course tuition.

Hong Kong students with financial needs can apply for Financial Assistance which covers up to 50% of the programme fee/ per-course tuition.

Q3. Can I withdraw from the programme after making the payment?
A3. You may withdraw from the programme after making the payment. However, all fees paid are non-refundable unless otherwise specified.

Q1. What is Hello Hong Kong? Who should join the Hello Hong Kong session? 
A1. Hello Hong Kong is a two-day orientation specially designed for participants coming from outside Hong Kong. It helps non-local participants to settle down in their student hostels and introduces them to the city of Hong Kong. Local students do not need to join the Hello Hong Kong session.

International students who join the Hello Hong Kong session are still required to join the orientation camp, which includes all participants of the SI programme.

Q2. Is the orientation mandatory?
A2. It is mandatory for all students to join the orientation.

Q1. Will accommodation be provided for students?
A1. On-campus accommodation during the orientation camp will be provided to all students.

On-campus accommodation during the study period is guaranteed but optional for non-local students. Non-local students are highly recommended to live on campus to experience the vibrant campus life of CUHK.

On-campus accommodation during the study period will not be provided to Hong Kong students.

Q2. What kind of room will I be living in on campus?
A2. You will be assigned to a double or triple room at a student hostel. No single rooms will be provided. Your roommates will be assigned by the Office of Academic Links.
Q3. Can my parents come and stay with me on campus?
A3. No, only participants of the CUHK Summer Institute can reside on campus.